Friday, March 30, 2018

THANK YOU ASILOMAR

Once again I have come home filled with enthusiasm after taking a one week class at Asilomar Conference Center in beautiful Pacific Grove near Monterey, in northern California.  And I have Empty Spools to thank for this.

Now, I’m not one to experience “writer’s block” or “creative block”, depending on the outlet I’m working in at the time.  But every once in awhile I have a lack of enthusiasm and nothing seems to interest me.  That is why my trip to Asilomar is exactly what I need once a year to recharge my batteries.  For an entire week I am surrounded with artistic people on a daily basis.  It’s like getting a giant shot of creative inspiration.

Of course there is also the “fun” reason I go each year too.  It can’t just be a total work week without some girlfriends, laughter, and wine being an important component for the complete Asilomar experience.  

My instructor this year was Gloria Loughman, who came all the way from Australia.  She is an excellent teacher and her quilts are extraordinary.  Her techniques of design and construction were quite different than any I have learned in other classes over the years.  I’ve realized the importance of taking a different teacher each year when I am home creating a new quilt.  I now have a “toolbox” of design and construction ideas that I can incorporate in my own work.  I may not like a certain class as well as other classes I’ve taken, but that experience is never wasted.

Gloria taught the class to make a small sample quilt so we could learn her method of quilt construction. We each picked one of the two patterns she had for us to make the sample.  Everyone chose their own fabrics from whatever they brought to class; and this is the sample quilt I made.

My larger project is a work-in-progress and will be shared with you at a later date when it's completed.


This is my first week home and I must say my head has been overflowing with ideas.  It’s a good thing I have certain obligations, or my newly revved-up enthusiasm might have me working non-stop!  I guess Asilomar and Empty Spools did their job once again to earn my heartfelt thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment