Wednesday, March 7, 2018

DESIGNING THE ELECTRONIC WAY

I’ve really been neglecting my blog since the new year, but I have a very good reason why that’s happened.  I admit I love a good challenge, especially when it comes to new technology of any kind.  Last year when I decided to start a blog I learned how to create it by myself with no help from anyone.  I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction when I’ve learned something new.  So it wasn’t unusual when I decided to take on a new challenge for 2018.

As I’ve mentioned in past blog posts I have many art apps on my iPad.  I like the creativity that the various apps allow when it comes to photos, drawing, etc.  But when It comes to actual designing I’ve always preferred sketching in a sketchbook or using a pad of graph paper for more precise designs.  But I was also curious about a couple of electronic quilting software programs I had read about.

So after many months of reading and comparing two of the main software programs I made the decision to buy the one I felt would offer exactly what I was looking for.  I bought Electric Quilt 8 and couldn’t be more pleased!  The first month I had a difficult time prying myself away from the computer, I was so completely obsessed with learning the program.  And when I did learn how to design my first pattern and then use that pattern to make a small quilt I was dancing around the room I was so delighted.  Now I am very addicted to EQ8!!  

First design on EQ8 (not quilted yet)



I must say that it is not an easy program to learn if you are not computer savvy though.  It's quite complex and there is so very much to learn.  But as with anything new you learn it takes lots and lots of practice to become really good at what you’re doing.  And so I keep working hard to learn as much as I can, trying to balance my time between sewing and working on the computer.  I'll be sharing some of my finished quilts as I get them done.


1 comment: