Monday, May 15, 2017

SHOPPING FOR HANDICRAFTS & TEXTILES  ABROAD, PART ONE

Over the years of foreign travel I have purchased an assortment of local handicrafts and fabrics from around the world.  I always enjoy seeing the craftsmanship of talented, artistic people.  When I decided to write this story I realized I have bought enough foreign handicrafts to share in several stories.

Part of traveling with OAT is visiting people’s homes and sharing a cultural exchange.  Over the years I’ve had home visits on every OAT trip I’ve taken.  Sometimes local drinks and snacks are served, many times lunch or dinner is served.  On my first big international trip to Peru in 2003, we were visiting the home of a local villager.  While there I bought the following home-made doll, all sewn on a treadle sewing machine.  She resides in my sewing room and is a special reminder of my first taste of adventure travel.


PERUVIAN CUY!



























This journal was purchased on an OAT trip to Turkey in 2008. I was attracted to the design on the textile cover.



This small sketchbook was purchased on an OAT trip to Israel and Jordan in 2009.  Once we left Jordan and crossed the border into Israel we made a visit to the town of Lakia.  There we visited a Bedouin women’s coop, “Desert Embroidery.”




This mola cloth was purchased from a Kuna Indian on an OAT trip to Panama in 2009.  I picked this particular piece because I wanted the edges unfinished so I could see all the different layers of colored fabric.





My OAT trip to India in 2015 was one of my best shopping trips!  I will be sharing more Indian handicrafts and textiles in another blog. The following 3 items are from India.  I bought this wall hanging because of all the hand needlework, design, and bright colors.







This black tunic is so heavily hand embroidered with green yarn that it caught my eye right away.  With so many items now machine-made; to find a garment so finely embroidered is impressive. The person who did this all by hand must have spent hours doing so. The knots on the reverse side show the authenticity of the workmanship.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You've got some impressive pieces there, Diane! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete