Monday, May 22, 2017

HOFFMAN CHALLENGE 2015
Mayan Sunrise
           


HOFFMAN CHALLENGE

Every year when I go to the Road to California Quilt Show in Ontario, CA, I always enjoy seeing the Hoffman Challenge entries.  It's amazing to see all the different design ideas used to create the quilts on display.  I always thought about entering the contest but never followed through.  That is until the 2015 challenge.

I was once again at Road to CA in January of 2015 and I was looking at the 2014 Hoffman Challenge entries.  I happened to notice the flyer announcing the 2015 challenge and pictures of the challenge fabric, Pomegranate Gold.  Something about the colors and print spoke to me immediately and I thought, "I'm going to enter the contest."  When I got home from the quilt show that evening I took out my pencil and sketchbook, and while I watched tv that night I began sketching several preliminary designs.  

I thought about these designs for a few days and then went to Rosie's Calico Cupboard quilt shop where the Hoffman Challenge fabric and coordinating fabrics were sold.  Within a short span of time I had decided on a final sketch, begun cutting out my patterns and fabric, and I was well on my way.  

I had gone to the quilt show the last week of January and the deadline for all entries was July 17, 2015. That may sound like a lot of time to make a quilt but I also had a life to live with appointments, obligations and the usual stuff we all do regularly.  I knew I had to use my "creative time" wisely.  And that is exactly what I did.  

I hit a few small snags along the way and had to make some minor revisions as well.  And I'll admit to using my seam ripper to painstakingly rip out tiny free-motion stitches that I absolutely did not like and couldn't leave in.  My revised stitching turned out much better than the first attempt.

My quilt was finally finished, mailed, and received an entire month before the deadline date.  In August 2015, I received a letter telling me that my quilt was accepted into the 2015 Hoffman Challenge and would be in one of the twelve trunk shows touring the U.S. for a year.  I was SO EXCITED!  I was able to see online where my quilt would be shown and it was going to be close to my home twice during its year tour.  Some of my friends went with me to the Temecula Valley Museum in Temecula, CA to see my quilt and the other Hoffman Challenge entries traveling with my quilt.  Even though it didn't win any ribbons, it was very special for me to see something I made on display in a museum, and to know wherever it was going to be shown others would see it too.


After a year I welcomed my traveling quilt home for good.  I received a special participation certificate with all the places across the country where it had visited, as well as a booklet with pictures of all the 2015 quilts chosen.  

Just like I do time and again when I travel afar, my quilt finally came back to the love and sanctuary of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment