Wednesday, September 6, 2017

INDIAN TEXTILES

I've made reference in previous blogs about India being one of my best shopping trips.  And I've shown a black tunic with beautiful green hand needlework decorating a major portion of the tunic.  Well, I have a lot more to share about the incredible Indian textiles.

One of their specialties is creating block printed fabrics.  The cotton that is used for stamping has a soft feel and is perfect to use in clothing and other textiles.

While staying at the gorgeous Nahargarh Ranthambore, in Rajasthan, India, I visited the Dastkar Ranthambore Women's Cooperative.

The women welcomed us to watch and take pictures of them while they worked.  Several of them had their children with them too.

The workmanship was excellent with a wide range of different textile crafts for sale in the shop.  All the block printed fabric was used for their handicrafts, not sold to the public.

I bought a lovely hand stamped cotton tunic with an embroidered border on the cuffs and hem, and have worn it several times since then.  I bought several gifts for friends there too.  The small purses caught my eye with their beautiful hand embroidery.  And I couldn't resist an adorable plum headed parakeet with detailed hand stitching, as well as an elephant keychain.

The woman who made my purse


If you look at their Facebook page or their website you will see many of the items they make and sell, as well as the women who work there.


No comments:

Post a Comment