Wednesday, April 19, 2017



COLOR AND DESIGN INSPIRATION FROM INDIA




India is a fascinating country to visit.  From the hustle bustle of overly crowded Delhi to the wide open countryside of Khujaro; or busy Agra, home of the famous Taj Mahal, to the spiritual city of Varanasi and the Ganges River, India is a study in bold colors, exotic smells and tastes, and strong beliefs.

Yes, there is extreme poverty such as I've never seen before.  It is a sad reality that is part of India's landscape.  Learning about their caste system helped to explain their existence a little bit better.  But if you can look beyond the poverty you will be rewarded with the most beautiful colors you've ever seen.  Of all the interesting countries I've traveled to, India is by far the most colorful.  Every sari I saw was a work of art.  And the design work on the numerous Hindu Temples is extraordinary.  Ideas for quilts were everywhere I looked.

The fabrics in India are another bonus.  I bought meters of various hand stamped cotton fabrics, and I wish I had brought back more.  I've made several tops and the fabric is soft and lovely.  The silk fabric in India is also gorgeous!  There was a silk weaving shop next door to the hotel I stayed at in Varanasi.  Inside were enormous looms; including one dating back hundreds of years.  Of course I couldn't resist buying some luscious fabric, as well as a beautiful silk wall hanging.






I'm very glad I finally went to India, otherwise I would have missed experiencing a country like no other.  In fact, I would like to return some day to visit the southern part of the country, and of course buy some more fabric.




No comments:

Post a Comment